The Royal part of the Monte Carlo Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh attracted me back in 2018 thanks to a set of facilities for its guests: a private beach, a lounge with meals, buildings located closer to the sea. And in 2021, we returned to see what has changed over the past 3 years.
The hotel is located 20 minutes from the airport, Ras Um El Sid area. Check-in was quick, like the first time, in a separate sofa area at the reception for Royal guests.
The Royal room turned out to be exactly the same, on the 2nd floor overlooking the main pool, although this time for some reason there were 2 beds instead of one. The room is spacious enough with a normal sized bathroom (with shower, bathtub, washbasin, toilet and strange bidet 🙂 ) and a spacious balcony.
Upon check-in, we were greeted by a plate of fruit and a stocked minibar.
The air conditioning system is a little noisy, and there is a little blowing on the bed.
Of course, it is high time to carry out a complete renovation of the rooms, the further, the more and more it becomes clear that the rooms are already in a real need of repair.
One night we were offered to live in a Suite, which I will describe separately.
Royal Beach is still a hilly, self-catering separate piece of beach. No one will bring drinks, no one will help with sun beds / umbrellas either. The condition of the sunbeds and umbrellas is already poor, they are practically falling apart. Well, the main disadvantage is that you need to walk enough to the only pontoon with an entrance to the sea, there is no separate entrance to the sea, although I think that it would be a good solution.
The hotel’s pontoon is the only entrance to the sea. And this is a real shame: it is plastic, terribly wobbly, and given the currents and winds in the area, it becomes very critical. It is very difficult to stay on it and it seems that at any moment you will simply fall. In the morning at the end of September there was a red flag and a strong wind, a little later the wind and the current became calmer, and it was possible to swim.
The hotel’s reef is not the worst, there is something to see, and it is interesting to swim to the neighboring hotels on both sides. True, we did not meet any rare and interesting marine inhabitants here.
The royal all inclusive concept for Royal guests looks like this.
1. Breakfasts and lunches are served in the lounge with its own small terrace.
For breakfast there is not a very large selection of products (vegetables, fruits, pastries, cheeses, cold cuts) on the buffet and hot dishes to order (eggs, pancakes). For lunch, you can order min dish, the rest is also a choice (salads, snacks, several hot dishes, soups). The quality of food and its preparation has deteriorated sharply compared to 2018. Yes, it is clear that now there is a pandemic, but the cost of living here has not decreased.
3. For dinner, you can go to the hotel’s main restaurant or one of the à la carte restaurants. In 2018 we tried Italian, seafood and Chinese. We liked only the fish. And so it has remained now, however, the menu is exactly the same as it was 3 years ago. But we could not understand why the à la carte restaurant does not have a menu according to which you can choose the food you want. This hotel has a different system: you come, order drinks, and then they start bringing you food without asking anything. The Lebanese restaurant that we visited in 2021 horrified us: both the service and the food are creepy. I don’t recommend it to anyone.
4. Anyone can use the bars / restaurants in the main area of the hotel.
But you need to be very careful to use the territory of the main hotel. You can’t go to the toilets: it’s dirty and scary. The lazy river, once famous throughout Sharm el Sheikh, is in a terrible state; no one has repaired or looked after it for a long time. There is a huge shortage of sun loungers and umbrellas on the beach and by the pool.
The territory itself is nice, and there is very nice to walk. The gardeners try to keep the hotel garden in good condition.
But it’s a shame to see the once glorious and chic Ritz Carlton turn into a mediocre, unkempt and tasteless hotel.
In general, the idea of Royal part in the hotel is excellent, but it was not implemented very successfully. There is a lack of good food, good drinks, good service, and cleanliness around.
I recommend to the hotel management:
– do a thorough cleaning and maintenance
– plan the renovation of rooms
– teach chefs to cook
– explore the possibility of organizing an entrance to the sea from the Royal Beach
– work with a la carte restaurants, having studied the experience of other hotels (menu, service, good food)
– make drinks service and assistance at Royal Beach
– add sun loungers / umbrellas on the beach and by the pool
– repair sunbeds / umbrellas on the Royal Beach